Build your way to better business
“A powerful tool designed to enhance innovation and business performance”
- Tap into the hidden expertise of your organization
- Transform insight and awareness into commitment and shared goals
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology is an innovative process designed to enhance innovation and business performance. Based on research which shows that this kind of hands-on, minds-on learning produces a deeper, more meaningful understanding of the world and its possibilities, the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology deepens the reflection process and supports an effective dialogue – for everyone in the organization.
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology is an innovative, experiential process designed to enhance innovation and business performance.
“You can learn more about a person in an hour of play than you can from a lifetime of conversation”Plato
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® Method is a facilitated meeting, communication and problem-solving process in which participants are led through a series of questions, probing deeper and deeper into the subject. Each participant builds his or her own 3D LEGO® model in response to the facilitator´s questions using specially selected LEGO® elements. These 3D models serve as a basis for group discussion, knowledge sharing, problem-solving and decision making.
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® Method is a technique which improves group problem-solving. By utilizing visual, auditory and kinesthetic skills, the Method requires participants to learn and listen, and it provides all participants with a voice. The Method serves as a shared language regardless of culture or position. It is also a method that requires a trained LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® facilitator.
Gaining confidence and committing to shared goals
By using the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® materials and methodology you will explore the relationships and connections between people and their world, observe the dynamics both internal and external, explore various hypothetical scenarios, and gain awareness of the possibilities.
During the facilitated meeting, you will be building landscape models with LEGO elements, giving them meaning through story-making, and playing out various possible scenarios – a process which deepens understanding, sharpens insight, and socially “bonds” the group together as it “plays” together. The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® Methodology will guide you into a free and honest exchange of opinion. The physical and tangible construction allows you to have conversations which flow without the fear of treading on personal feelings. You will experience that the real issues are addressed, and ultimately you will be able to see things through the eyes of your colleagues – and have them view the picture through yours.
A TOOL FOR BUILDING RESULTS
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology is a radical, innovative, experiential process designed to enhance business performance. It is based on the belief that everyone can contribute to the discussion, the decisions and the outcome.
The use of LEGO® elements enables you to take a speedy shortcut to the core. The LEGO elements work as a catalyst – and when used for building metaphors, they trigger processes that you probably were previously unaware of.
Workshop participants leave with skills to communicate more effectively, to engage their imagination more readily, and to approach their work with increased confidence, commitment and insight.
Leverage your organisation’s expertise
To fully harvest the insight, ideas and imagination available in your organization, the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology taps into the human ability to imagine – to describe and make sense of the business at hand, to initiate change and improvement, and even to create something radically new.
- The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology is a facilitated technique which unlocks the potential of all the participants in the workshop
- At its core, it is about solving complex issues by building models using LEGO bricks. The metaphors in the models serve as the basis for group discussion, knowledge sharing and problem-solving and help foster creative thinking and finding unique solutions
- LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® workshops are usually offered by facilitators, who have been trained in the methodology
- The methodology is based on a robust set of theories originally developed by the LEGO Group
- All facilitated LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® workshops are group processes and designed around a relatively limited number of powerful core concepts. These conceptual modules can be configured in multiple ways to best meet your needs. A workshop based on the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® materials and methodology varies in the number of participants and duration depending on the topic. Usually, one full-day session is effective. Short sessions last 3-4 hours. The longest sessions may extend to three days
- Organizations, whether private or public, use the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY ® methodology when they want to unlock the full potential of their employees – and to encourage everyone to participate, contribute and commit to the solution Typically, workshops focus on challenging issues or developing strategies, see examples here.
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® materials and methodology are effective when there is more than one possible right answer, and when the organization wants to harness all available knowledge in the team in order not only to find the best possible solution but also to get the strongest possible commitment.
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® materials and methodology are particularly effective when:
- The subject is complex and multifaceted and there is a need to grasp the bigger picture, find connections and explore options and potential solutions
- It is important to reach decisions which everyone commits to and honours after the meeting even though he or she does not agree 100%
- Asking each team member or participant the same question results in substantially different answers
- Everyone in the group has an interest or stake in what is on the agenda
- It is important that everyone participates in the discussions and contributes to his or her knowledge and opinions
- You want to increase team understanding and at the same time avoid frustration
- You want to use the time efficiently
- There are no obvious answers
- You would like to gain new learning, insights and new ways of thinking
- You want to deal with tough and complex issues in a constructive atmosphere
- It is vital that participants speak their true feelings without intimidating anyone or being intimidated
- You have a situation in which a few members tend to dominate the discussions and you want to break that routine without offending anyone
- You have a group which feels meetings tend to be a waste of time
- You want to create a level playing field for discussion
- Your meetings or learning events tend to focus more on the messengers than on the messages
- You want to avoid excuses or lack of initiative after the meeting
- Where there are risk participants feel they were not heard or involved in the decision
- You want to ensure that all participants share a common understanding and frame of reference
Creating the perfect workshop for you
Contact Peter Furstenberg as a trained facilitator of the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology to create the perfect workshop for your company or organisation. Whether your goal is to solve a complex problem, generate new ideas, problem resolution of team building, the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology will offer the perfect tailor-made solution.